Pilots, enthusiasts and a handful of young people from the region founded a club in 1929 that still brings people together today. It all started at the Einkorn with gliders and model airplanes. The ancient dream of flying also came true in Schwäbisch Hall.
In 1934, engine flying was a logical consequence for the ambitious pilots. In the years before and during World War II, a military airfield of the Luftwaffe was established where the airport is located today. In the fifties, the Schwäbisch Hall pilots gradually recaptured the airport, starting with gliders in 1950 and engine flying 1955, soon to be followed by parachutists, balloonists, hang-gliders and microlights. Together with the American Armed Forces stationed here until 1993, joint civilian use of the airfield was possible. After 1994, Schwäbisch Hall Airport was operated as the first all-weather airport situated in an “F” airspace. This particular airspace structure allows for instrument flight departures and approaches from and to airports with little air traffic and a high share of business flights without the high administrative costs incurred in commercial or regional airports with terminal control area. The “F” airspace has meanwhile proven to be worthwhile both regarding economic efficiency and safety in fourteen German airports.
The extension and turning of the runway in 2004, the elimination of obstacles, construction of a drainage system and development of infrastructure renders the airport in perfect shape for the future.